Saturday 14 June 2014

Australia, Mooloolaba - 12/06/14

The day we just had was one of the worst 24 hour periods I've encountered since beginning our journey. I'm not even sure I want to go into it. I will anyway.


It started with our toilet pump breaking. We had already ordered another one when it was still half functional, but before the replacement arrived the old one broke properly. So no toilet for a day. Along with no possibility of pumping fresh water through the pipes before disconnecting them. Whatever, I didn't really dwell on it. Then when the new pump arrived Garth was left with the task of hooking it up. The boat did not smell nice while he was doing this.

Eventually there was just one pipe left to take off so we could hook the new one up. He couldn't get it. I was called upon to help pull the pipes apart, but I couldn't get it either. We ended up pulling on one end each, with a lot of wiggling and coaxing thrown in. I don't even need to finish this story. It obviously ended in the pipes coming apart and exploding all over us and the boat. Garth coincidentally lost his breakfast just after the most rancid smell I have ever encountered was unleashed upon us. We pretty much coated ourselves and the bathroom in bleach after that incident. But we have a new pump that doesn't leak and is super shiny, if you want to look on the bright side instead of at the image of us standing in a confined space with a bottle of bleach trying to pretend we weren't cleaning up rancid toilet water.



As we left Mooloolaba we stopped to get fuel. At the wrong fuel dock. They weren't labelled on the charts or visible from the water, but whatever. We ended up having to fill up the jerry cans instead of redocking at the diesel pump in strong winds. Then on the way out we almost hit a nice cuddly row of piles, with both Sam and I having to push off them. So the whole fuel experience left us feeling like ninnys.



Our plan was to anchor at an island just out of Mooloolaba overnight so we'd have a clear run to Inskip Point first thing in the morning, without any bars to cross or fuel to fill up. The bar was bumpy. The sea was rough. It started raining. It was only an hour or so away, so I got left at the wheel because I didn't want to go downstairs. I hadn't taken any seasickness tablets but thought I'd just deal with it for an hour and then go to bed.

We got to the island and it was getting smashed by the rough seas. Anchoring there was impossible. There are no other anchorages up the coast. So straight to Inskip we went. All of us were unprepared for a 12 hour night passage, the boat wasn't secured properly and I was already feeling sick. It was raining and we were already cold and tired. But we had no choice.







I pumped myself with seasickness tablets, but it was too late. I had my head over the side on average two or three times an hour for the first five hours. Then I took some hardcore anti-nausea tablets and was sick slightly less. But the whole night was torture. We were directly downwind and the waves were big and steep, so as soon as I would get to sleep I'd get thrown onto the floor. Not ideal. I think Sam was a little overwhelmed by the sea state at first, but he did two shifts for us which made the night quite a bit less hellish. Even Garth ended up feeling too sick to go downstairs, which was a first. The sea was not kind. Then something shorted out our cabin lights, which sent a scary burning smell drifting up into the cockpit and left the insides shrouded in darkness. The boat got absolutely trashed from not being tidied and secured properly, so it became a maze down there in the dark. 


We eventually found an anchorage after crossing a nasty bar and got ready for bed. I hit my head on the boom going downstairs. Then the anchor slipped, we started drifting and we both had to go up and reset it on the other side of the bay. In our pjs. In the cold.

So that was not a fun day. But memories of that nasty passage around East Cape in New Zealand kept flooding back, so I was at least grateful we only had to endure one day of horrible conditions instead of seven. And it's pretty here, so once I've recovered I'll say it was worth it. Just not yet.





Before all that happened, we were having a great time in Mooloolaba. My mum lives there, so we got a lot of family time in. Many home cooked dinners, hot showers and baby photos were enjoyed. So that was awesome. We stocked up on boat parts, fixed a few things and had my amazing Uncle Peter come down to measure up for the new water tank he's building us. We'll have water again!









We didn't get many touristy activities done, but I did convince the boys to go to the Eumundi markets with me. I love that place! Garth and I bought bracelets there four years ago - they tie on and we've hardly taken them off since. We both have epic tan lines from them. The bands were old and raggedy, so I went in search of new ones. Lo and behold the guy was still there! So our wrists are adorned with prettiness again.









We also discovered that Holly, the fabulous photographer who made us look beautiful on our wedding day, has just moved to the coast. So we got to catch up with her and her gorgeous daughter as well, which was really exciting. Yay for friends in random places!



Now we're at Pelican Bay near Inskip Point. We'll hang out here for a day or two before heading to Tin Can Bay where we'll install the water tank and play with some dolphins. Sam is convinced he'll be able to get away with licking one, even though I've explained many times that he can't. He licked the Sydney Opera House as well. Sam is strange.

Monique Xxx













No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.